Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Max

I'm trying out blogging from my iphone :). Summer has been pretty full teaching-wise, with lots of students studying jazz just for fun. We planned a jazz soiree at the home of one of the singers. My jazz trio came and we had our own open mic night, complete with wine & appetizers. Everyone wants to do it again next summer.

Unusual high school male singer came in this summer: very ADHD, with a subsequent speech disorder. We'll call him Max. He loves to sing and wants to be a comedian - well, why not?
Discovered quickly that he is VERY intelligent. Picks up and applies concepts so fast, it's amazing to watch. We've worked on 3 songs and 2 monologues so far. The most effective directive I've given him so far seems to be to slow down. One day, I suggested he deliver his monologue in slow motion and suddenly all the words came out clearly, with no dropped syllables. He's a very good mimic :). He seems to have the support of his high school drama teacher. He's trying out for the school play this week: I wonder how he'll do?

No comments:

Post a Comment