Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/13/2011

Sarah (deaf student) came in for her lesson yesterday.  She had started a visual journal of sounds, using colors and shapes.  Then we discovered something new.  Since she has to feel vibration in order to match pitch with either an instrument or another voice, she can't sing something on her own.  I sang a line to her and asked her what the visual picture looked like.  She told me very clearly.  Then I asked if she could hold on to the picture mentally after I was done singing the line.  She couldn't: it faded immediately.  I can see now how the visualizations of the sound will act as a tool for her; eventually an entire song will be a visual and when she calls it to mind, she can sing it.  It's going to take some time, but she's very intelligent and very motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment